Signed by Walter Gropius
Walter Gropius and Sarah P. Harkness [Editors]: THE ARCHITECTS COLLABORATIVE 1945 - 1965 [Die Architektengemeinschaft TAC]. Teufen AR, Switzerland: Verlag Arthur Niggli AG, 1966. First edition. Text in English and German. Oblong quarto. Blue cloth decorated in white. Printed dust jacket. 300 pp. 312 black and white photographs, plans and diagrams. 4 color photographs. Cloth lightly sunned and Binding lightly shaken. Dust jacket edgeworn with multiple tears and some loss to rear panel. Three archival reinforcements to verso. Front free endpaper SIGNED IN INK: Walter Gropius / 1966 / Cambridge, Mass. A nearly very good copy in a scrappy example of the publishers dust jacket.
11.5 x 9 hardcover book with 300 pages and 312 black and white photographs, plans and diagrams, and 4 color photographs. Book design and typography by Josef Muller-Brockmann. Edited by Walter Gropius and Sarah P. Harkness, with contributions from Jean B. Fletcher, Norman C. Fletcher, John C. Harkness, , Louis A. McMillen, and Benjamin Thompson.
Includes extensive documentation and biographic reminiscences of TAC projects, including Six Moon Hill; Lexington, MA; 1947-1950; Five Fields; Lexington, MA; 1951-1959; Harvard Graduate Center; Cambridge, MA; 1949 University of Baghdad; Baghdad, Iraq; 1957-1960; Pan-American World Airways Building; New York City; 1958-1963 (with Emery Roth & Sons); Wayland High School; Wayland, MA; 1960; John Fitzgerald Kennedy Office Building; Boston, MA; 1961; Parkside Elementary School; Columbus, IN; 1962 and others.
Walter Gropius formed The Architects' Collaborative (TAC) seven younger architects in 1945 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The philosophy of Collaboration reflected Gropius' central preoccupation with the social responsibilities of architecture.
At TAC an entire group of architects had their input on a project, rather than putting an emphasis on individualism. There would be a "partner-in-charge," who would meet with clients and have final decision-making authority. Originally, each of the eight partners would hold weekly meetings on a Thursday to discuss their projects and be open to design input and ideas. However, as the firm grew larger there were many more people on a team and it was more difficult to consolidate into one group. Therefore, many other "groups" of architects within the firm were formed and carried out the same original objective.
TAC has been a notable landmark in the history of postwar modernism. For the most part the firm functioned as a team rather than on an individual basis, which was considered a unique method of architectural practice, which reflected Gropius' philosophy of working collaboratively with others when he was a Bauhaus instructor in Germany prior to TAC. In later years, TAC was known as one of the first architects to design environmentally "green" buildings starting in the early 1980s. Two of the original eight founders, Norman Fletcher and John "Chip" Harkness stayed with TAC for its entire 50 year existence.
International Shipping: $45.00